Follow more on Twitter

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Figured I'd Share Some of the Art I've been Working On

As a kid I drew all of the time drawing inspiration from the Looney Toons and Marvel and DC comics. Then, for some reason, as I got older I stopped drawing less and less until I stopped. However, recently I picked up the ole pencil again when I discovered rock posters. My folks got me this book called Art of Modern Rock two years ago for Christmas, which I highly recommenend as the artists are truly awe inspiring, and I started going from there attempting to duplicate pieces from some of the posters I liked the best. I still have a long way to go but I figured I'd share of the pieces I've been working on anyway.

I would love any feedback and constructive critism that you have. It goes in the order of my most recent work to the first piece, which was done about a year and a half ago.

Recreated from a silkscreened rock poster for the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion by Methane Studios out of Atlanta for the Echo Lounge. I used pencil and blue, red, and green Sharpie markers.

Redrawn from a silkscreen poster for Scissorfight by Aesthetic Appartus out of Minneapolis, MN for the Triple Rock Social Club. I used pencil and a blue Sharpie marker.

This is based on a frame from Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns when the caped crusader kills The Joker. It was done with charcoal pencil.


This is based on an image of Death that I found online. I think drawing hands will forever baffle me. It was done with charcoal pencil.


I cannot quite remember what the inspiration for this was. I think it is based on an AC/DC album cover. It was done with pencil and charcoal pencil.

This is based on Art Sasse's iconic photo of Einstein during his birthday at Princeton. Saying it has some proportional issues would be generous, but it's recognizable at least. It was done with pencil and Sharpie markers.

No comments: