Follow more on Twitter

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Wow, It Actually Happened

Of course Obama winning is awesome, but how cool was CNN's use of hologram technology?

For the final analysis of the '08 election I turn to Kool and the Gang.

Celebrate good times, come on! (Let's celebrate)
Celebrate good times, come on! (Let's celebrate)

There's a party goin' on right here
A celebration to last throughout the years
So bring your good times, and your laughter too
We gonna celebrate your party with you

Come on now

Celebration
Let's all celebrate and have a good time
Celebration
We gonna celebrate and have a good time

It's time to come together
It's up to you, what's your pleasure

Everyone around the world
Come on!

Yahoo! It's a celebration
Yahoo!


Thank you, Kool and the Gang, for your insightful remarks.

Last night I received my LEGO Robin Hood Adventure Set. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote about going to bed and waking up to the election results like Christmas morning. Of course I stayed up. Of course I saw the results at 11 p.m. when Blitzer, in all of his white-bearded glory, called the election for Obama. The sights at Grant Park and the accompanying celebrations across the country and the world were amazing. It looked like the end of Return of the Jedi. Prince would say people were partying like it was 1999. In a sense it was a New Year's Eve party. It was a celebration of a new beginning.

Obama's speech last night was so fitting, so eloquent. He amazes me every time he gets behind a podium because he always delivers something awe inspiring when the country needs it most. Some people say there's more to being pres than speaking well. I agree, but, at the same time, isn't part of the President's job description to be the ultimate salesperson?

I wanted a speech about unity and he delivered something that just blew my mind. He didn't holler and rally his followers. Instead, he spoke like the president that we need. He said WE still have a lot of work to do, that WE are all in this together, that it will take a tremendous amount of time and work but WE will get there. The speech was about all of us as a whole and never just about him. He spoke to the folks who voted for McCain and told them I will win your support. For once I don't feel completely cynical towards politics. I feel inspired.

McCain was so gracious with his concession speech. It reminded me of the candidate he was back in 2000. He is a true American hero and patriot.

I still don't think I have fully grasped how truly historic this is.

I'm glad Obama won by more than 7 million votes. We wouldn't have survived another 2000 or 2004.

He's not perfect. He said so himself. He will make mistakes. Even JFK had his Bay of Pigs. To cynics, I ask that you just give the guy a shot. If he doesn't deliver on his message then by all means throw tomatoes.

I want to thank David Gergen and John King for providing such unbiased, insightful election coverage. I will miss the magic map but I look forward to CNN's continued use of hologram technology. Beam me up Blitzer!

No comments: