Follow more on Twitter

Monday, August 11, 2008

Ninja Gun CD Release Party at CR's August 9

Ninja Gun front man Jonathan Coody belts out "Eight Miles Out" (my favorite song of '08 so far) at the band's CD release party Saturday night at CR's. So, who wants to give me a Nikon?

Saturday couldn't come soon enough as Chrissty and I headed up to CR's to see the much anticipated Ninja Gun show. I've been wanting to see these guys since January when I first heard them on Myspace, but because of weeknight shows and weekmorning work drudgery, my responsible side wouldn't allow me to attend.

We met Santanna there at 9, which we should have known was way too early. Knowing this fact, you would have expected us to show up in a Lincoln Towncar, Chrissty fashioning a broach and me boat shoes and a nice pair of slacks on the way to an early bird prime rib, but at least we only had to wait 10 minutes for a cold brew (specifically a $4 32-ouncer; very nice) and another hour for the show to begin.

Ninja Gun didn't get on until about 12:30, but it was well worth the wait as the three opening bands showed off some of the true original talent that exists admits Valdosta's obsession with three 45 minute sets of covers.

Leading off was False Arrest.

This young band proved that quality hardcore punk rock does exist in Valdosta with its 30 second AK-47 blasts to the eardrums. For those out there not into this style of music, the band's stage presence alone was worth witnessing as the lead singer windmilled and convulsed among the guitarist and bassist frenzying at finger tip bleeding speeds. After each conniption/song, the lead singer would plop down on the drum stand, chest heaving, down some water and converse with the crowd. It would have made for the best Vh1 Storytellers since Meatloaf's.

I welcomed their sound as I hadn't experienced any thing like it in a long time, but, at the same time, I cringed at what poor Chrissty and Santana were going through behind me as False Arrest is definitely not their cup of tea. Luckily, things calmed down some or I would have ended up on the Rock 'N' Rodeo dance floor doing the Souja Boy.

Next was No More Analog

Chrissty and I had no idea that our friend Taylor was in a band until he told us before the show. Then, an hour or so later, there he was looking like the Cheshire Cat as he banged on the drums. It's quite a sight witnessing somebody enjoying themselves so much. The Captain's deep, fast vocals sounded superb on "No Vacancy" and later meshed well with Jack Dean's, higher vocals on one tune I missed the name of. No More Analog's brand of punk rock was intense but more laid back than False Arrest's in the sense that a fire bombing isn't as destructive as an Atom Bomb.

Next was Second to Edison

This is a band I've heard a lot about but had never experienced until Saturday night, and I wasn't disappointed. The lead singer's voice was amazingly powerful as it resonated through the entire bar. The band mixed in this amazing slow song I wish I remembered the name of; it's pace and the despair of the lead singer's voice made you cling to every word. The guy was also hilarious between sets. I don't know if it was him or the booze talking but, either way, you sir deserve an invitation to the Bob Saget roast.

Last but not least: Ninja Gun

As the band took the stage the crowd pushed towards the foursome like a group of 5 year olds listening to a grandfather' s old wise tales. The bands who played before them stood among us and looked on like apprentices watching their master craftsman pound steel.

Ninja Gun was well worth the wait as they sounded better live than on their album. They were true showmen as they put on a fun show much helped by Coody's "crazy eyes," "'Preciate it," a foul-acting guitar strap that constantly came undone, and the hilarious buffoonery of the Second to Edison lead man joining Coody on the mic on numerous occasions.

The band began with the self titled track from their new album "Restless Rubes," and followed with the faster paced "Eight Miles Out," which got many of the few remaining table dwellers out of their seats and up to the stage. The songs get hazy from there but they also played "Darwin was a Baptist", the crowd going nuts and joining in on "Can I get a little church in my state/Give me one more reason to hate everything around me," "Asking Price," "Permanent Press," and "Smooth Transitions" from their debut album Smooth Transitions; the crowd going crazy and screaming along at "God bless me, God bless me, God bless me."

All and all a perfect Saturday night. Good beer. Good friends. Good music.

No comments: